Monday, November 28, 2011
My Major Change
I changed my major this year into Health and Physical Education with a minor in Sport Management. It was the best thing I have decided to do in a long time (Even better than getting taco's for dinner tonight). I came from Early Childhood Education where I started to realize that all I could have done with that degree is teach pre-k to 4th grade. BAD CHOICE! There is so much more opportunity with a health and physical education major, and adding on my sport management minor just opens up the field so much more. My ultimate goal would be teach elementary for several years, and then find a position as a high school Athletic Director. As of right now, I want to get my master's in administration so I will be able to move up the ladder within a school. I love the program I am in, and am so happy I made the change.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I can relate to you. This is my 4th major. I started in Early Childhood Education like you my freshman year. My 2nd year I switched to Parks and Recreation. I was put in the sub-major Resort Tourism to get me into the major since I wasn't sure exactly which field I wanted to do. I switched halfway through the year to Parks and Rec. Therapeutic Rec. Well at the end of my Sophomore year I decided I did want to teach, but I wanted to teach Phys. Ed. not Early Childhood. So here I am!
ReplyDeleteHonestly I don't think I would do it differently if I could go back though. I learned a lot in the other majors, developed some lifelong relationships with both peers and professors, and it showed me that I really don't want to do those other majors.
Its been a long journey and I feel like I'm only still at the beginning, but it's worth it to find something you are going to love doing.